Glider Content

Thursday, December 22, 2011

David Archuleta to embark on Mormon mission


Fresh-faced “American Idol” star David Archuleta is putting his promising career aside for a higher calling.

According to the Hollywood Reporter, Archuleta – or Archie, as he’s known to fans – has announced that he’s embarking on a Mormon mission.

The 20-year-old Utah native shared his news at the Salt Lake City stop of his My Kind of Christmas Tour. “I would like to make a special announcement: That I’ve chosen to serve a full-time mission,” he told the audience.

“It’s not because someone told me I was supposed to do it and not because I no longer want to do music anymore,” the “Idol” season 7 runner-up explained to the crowd. “It’s because it’s what I feel I need to do next in my life.”

This means Archie will be sent abroad (or possibly somewhere in the United States) to proselytize his faith. He’ll have limited contact with family and friends, a strict schedule and will wear the traditional dress clothes of a missionary.

Mormon.org describes the missionary’s experience: “During their two years of full time service they devote themselves to studying, meeting people and teaching about Jesus Christ and His restored Church.”

But Archuleta won’t be trading in his tour bus for a bicycle just yet – on Wednesday, the singer will perform the last show on his Christmas tour in Beaver Creek, Colorado.

0 comments:

Post a Comment